Wednesday 25 April 2012

Pregnancy



I just thought why not I share my experience that I had during pregnancy....I was in Farmers Insurance Home office--6th floor, sitting in a round conference with Farmers Fast Quote Business team. I got a call & it showed "Private Number". I excused myself from the meeting & came out. I answered the phone. It was Dr.Margareta Pisarsca, who started with the word "Congratulations!!"...Actually speaking I heard ONLY that word & didn't hear anything further. I understood that we become dumb and deaf when we get into extreme happiness. Finally she told "come in a week...bye". I said Thank you & cut the call.

What number I would have called!!!...Yeah its of Kamal's...We both felt like meeting each other even though we know we can't...However we fixed a time of 5pm to meet in the canteen.

I called my parents. It was 3:30pm in US which was 4:00am of the next day in India. My mom picked up the call. I shared that moment with her...One thing that my mind reflexively did during my motherhood is think of my mom...Yes I am undergoing the motherhood & whom else I could think of...She, my mom, who means everything to me...her love....her care...;-)

                                                  its me & my mom ;-)

Finally that evening me & Kamal met in the hallway of our office. We didn't share words, those were just smiles...;-)..;-)...;-)

First trimester is said to be "care more" period as possibilities of abortion is high. But I will say I didn't care much. No careful walk, No sleep all time, No rest in bed, No rest in sofa...I was casual. My mom always reminded me that “Pregnancy is not a disease. It is natural process”.  So I didn’t restrict myself. I am thankful that I was working...As I had things that occupy my mind I didn't have a feel that there are changes in my body. I will say this is the same reason that kept me out of nausea, morning sickness etc..My friends used to tell "Lucky You!!!"...

But the devil followed me in a different form.."Gestational Diabetics"...Yes, I had it...Ms.Rozz Morgan from Cedar Sinai was my dietitian, a very strict person. Any doctor who heard her name as my dietitian further asked "Is she happy with your sugar levels?"....When I say "yes", they didn't even care to check my handbook noted down with sugar levels after every meal. It is a compliment to her. Doctors trust her honesty.

Sometimes, I felt she was warning too much about the baby's weight increase if sugars are not in control & leading complications in delivery if that happens....My goodness, whenever I see some American kids who are obese, I get a fear in myself. I get a feel of Rozz standing before me with the diet chart.. But I know it is all for me & my baby.

My dieting went on good with less carbs, balanced protein & no sugar. Chicken, fish, brown rice, veggies, limited fruits, limited milk became my chanting mantra. My grown tummy & the glow in face reflected my motherhood.

We came to know that its a boy...Kamal had a desire to have boy first (girl next..)...I had a desire to have girl first...However we didn't feel a difference. We both expected a healthy baby. Dr Naomi Suriel is my gyno. She is very cool & loveable.

It was my 6th month, Kamal needed to Quit Wipro. As his project in Los Angeles got over, Wipro forced him to move to New York. Kamal thought about me well. He understood that change of place will impact many things & my job in particular. He always appreciated me to take my own decisions. He also knows I am willing to continue my job during pregnancy & even after delivery.  He never said a "No" to me. He said a "No" to Wipro & joined in AnjanaSoft. I have written this in just few lines..but the pressure that we both undergone to decide the further step...uffff...cannot explain in words...

Before joining AnjanaSoft he had some 2 months break. I enjoyed the privilege of husband being at home & wife working..LOL...It sounds silly but I thought I wont get another opportunity...hehehhe...

                                                 with Kamal

Days rolled on...http://www.babycenter.com/ was my reference site...I restricted my discussions to only My mom & my friend Sowmya Kamath...I felt, too much references & discussions will fill your mind with unwanted ideas...

I will say I felt the difficulty of pregnancy from my 8th month as my baby had grown much & I started to feel very tired. After 8th month & until my mom arrived, most of the time we had our food outside. As I had diabetics it was easier for me as there is no shop in US without chicken. Even if I cook, it was just rasam, some variety rice or something very simple. It’s another think Kamal coped me with.

My mom came to US on Jan 29th 2011. The happiest moment is when my mom touched & felt Tharun moving. That moment filled me in tears. I was pampered in the love of my mom. I got different variety of food but always closer to the diet. Oil bath, mutton soup, restful sleep...What's wrong in the custom of girls being sent to their mom's home for delivery...I feel a very good reason behind it...Only a mom can understand completely about her child becoming a mom...

                                          with mom during bangle ceremony

From Feb 29th 2011 I stopped going to office. March 1st week I supported from home.

The next comes the Driving License. I determined myself to continue working after delivery. I had a hope that somehow that can be managed. If need to continue working, I need to be having driving License. I understood that managing the time after baby is possible, provided I don't depend on others. It is my determination & my baby. I need to handle. Getting a driving license is essential for that.

March 13th was my due date & I got my Driving License on March 8th 2011. If I get the same situation again, I don't think I will be with the same power.

The day came, March 14th 2011 morning 7:30am I got admitted in Cedar Sinai. I had all possibilities of normal delivery which was the first relief for me. I was conducting an argument between my sentiments & practicality on having an epidural. Should I need to feel the pain & deliver the baby or should I take the epidural & slightly relax?....Is it like only if a woman feels the pain she gets stronger?...I hear some people relates the mental strength with pain that is undergone. Its true but not always...I switched to practicality. I decided to go for epidural.



Epidural was just a prick in spine...It was done. But the description & warning given by the anesthesiologist made me recall my argument once more. Finally I sticked to my decision.  After epidural, Its gone numb from hip to toe. I was moved to the labor ward. It had view to Hollywood hills..

Dr.Suriel instructed the nurse to break the water by 2 in the afternoon. Its all done. Now I am carrying no water…only Tharun. My pregnant tummy reduced to half the size. I thought of vairamuthu’s line…”Thaneer kudathil pirakirom..thaneer karayil mudikirom”…



I slept for some time. When I woke up, I felt no control over my legs as it had gone completely numb. My nurse & my mom helped me to move, when I need. By 5 or 5:30, baby’s heart beat started to increase. It’s a sign for delivery that’s going to be normal. My heart started to beat more faster..where is all my hope & energy that I saved these 9 months…whats happening to me..why my temperature going high…I thought I am thrown in the middle of ocean….

Dr. Suriel arrived. The beautiful face of hers looked like I am seeing a fairness cream advertisement. Her freshness & smartness in words that she spoke to support me made
Me come back with enthusiasm. I told myself that few more minutes & everything will be set.

Kamal & my mom stayed with me in the labor room. Finally by 6:47pm, Tharun was born. As soon as he was born, before cutting umbilical chord, doctor put him on my chest.

What else I need in my life. He was like a small pack of joy lying on me. He made my day, week, months, year, life, everything. I didn’t feel any pain, I didn’t feel any pressure, and I didn’t feel people surrounding me. I just dropped my tear of happiness. 

 My li'l pack of joy---Tharun

1 comment:

  1. COPYING ALL THE COMMENTS ON THIS ARTICLE FROM FACEBOOK....

    Nisha Balachandran Menon: lovely article..very touching...but am quite surprised by your courage and determination

    to get tht license right before delivery...well done pingu
    19 hours ago · Unlike · 3

    Sabari Prabha Kanagaraju: ‎Nisha Balachandran Thanks....Thanks a lot for calling me pingu...;-)
    18 hours ago · Like · 1

    Divya Venkatakrishnan: just read , amazing :-)
    18 hours ago · Unlike · 1

    Poornima GS: Wowww I'm touched Sabari... Will share mine when I come to that stage in life.. ;)
    15 hours ago via mobile · Unlike · 2

    Sherin Joby: Simply awesome and a source of inspiration to every girl :) loved t sabbu
    15 hours ago via mobile · Unlike · 1

    Madhuri Mamidi: Too good gal........thanks for sharing this at the right time ;))
    9 hours ago · Unlike · 1

    Raja Susmitha Gudivada: · 2 mutual friends
    Sorry I'm madhu's friend, very impressed with ur article. My boy is 10 months old so couldn't stop myself. Anyways

    congrats nd tc madhu.
    7 hours ago via mobile · Unlike · 1
    Sabari Prabha Kanagaraju All thanks for ur likes & comments...planning to share more on my blog...Your comments &

    ideas are valuable...;-)
    6 hours ago · Like · 1

    Divya Palanivel: hey.. fantastic blog!.. its so very touching.. its really a challenge to put those in words and

    you have done it too good :-)
    6 hours ago · Unlike · 1

    Naresh Anvs: WOW!!! Amazing!! Was my feeling the moment I realized it’s the end of the article. its really a

    challenge to put those moments of life in words. Very touching and lovely. Magnificent writing! Kudos to you pingu!

    :-)
    5 hours ago · Unlike · 1

    Rekha Rajaram: superb Sabari :) nicely penned down :) but diabetics, first trisemester nu ketkum bodhe bayama

    irukke!!! I have some doubts, wil discuss it offline :D lol
    3 hours ago · Unlike · 1
    Sabari Prabha Kanagaraju: ‎Divya Palanivel, Naresh Anvs, Thanks.....
    2 minutes ago · Like
    Sabari Prabha Kanagaraju: ‎Rekha Rajaram...;-)...Thanks & message me any time...;-)

    ReplyDelete