Saturday 21 March 2015

Am I an early bird or a night owl?

I am a night owl but being a mom demands me to be an early bird. This is just a quick post of what I feel by staying awake in night and getting up early in the morning.

Getting up early in the morning is the toughest of everything for me. Any night owls can relate the beauty of early morning sleep. That darkness & silence is the best time to re-start the sleep. Oh yeah I re-start because most of the times I wake up just to stop the alarm & re-start my sleep. By having the kids near by, I cuddle under the blanket by holding them closer. When I stop the alarm I wake up wide but I go back to sleep the very next minute. I enjoy every aspect of that minute and fall asleep again. 

 I stayed awake throughout the nights during my school & college days. Most of my knowledge gaining happened when the world was sleeping. Nights turn me thoughtful. I get the most of my energy out between 9PM to 3AM.  The night before exams had always been the most productive. The late night chats with fellow hostelers and friends stay green in the memory. Discussions, gossips, late night baths, late night laundry work - all these continue today. If some work needs "me" time, I prefer to do at night. I choose to play some music, watch movies, write blogs(now it's 12:15AM), plan the week, think of new hobbies, too many things goes on in mind. I stay alone and active.

So that's my preference but the reality demands me to be an early bird. Being a mom, I cannot put my kids schedule under question. I have lots of focus on my health in recent years. That's another reason I try to be an early bird. Early morning has its beauty defined through its silence & darkness. The same aspects which brings me back to sleep by being a night owl, makes me optimistic if I wake up by being an early bird. Morning times are devotional and effective. I play devotional songs, workout, cook(yes cooking in the morning could boost ur day), get ready for the remaining day. Listening to Abirami Andhadhi in Sirkazhi Govindharajan's voice - mornings cannot be made better. 

Thoughtful nights Vs enthusiastic mornings - Sometimes neither awake at night nor awake in the morning happens which forms a different story.

Even though I am an owl,  my personal opinion varies. Being early birds sounds faster than being owls. Night is down time. Things slow down. Everything takes its own pace. Body clock also goes down in the rhythm. But most of us have the flexibility in-built. So I feel it's easy to switch.

There could be 100s of scientifically proved behaviors for night owls & early birds. But what we develop as habit forms us. They also say it's from gene. A natural early bird cannot become a complete night owl and vice versa. What if they try to? Ask me how badly I fail to do things. But I am forced to do. I set aside Friday & Saturday nights for me while I try to run around the clock the other days. 

By being a working mom, most of my days are messy. I may sound like a perfect person from outside but I am not. Some days I be the night owl and some days I am an early bird. It's all dependent on the work & kids. I have always prepared my mind saying this motherhood phase is not going to be clean and easy. My focus is just being better than yesterday. I combine my days of morning & night. I have a sleep debt. Some days the time I sleep is when I carpool to/from work. I am a humming bird now - somewhere in between a lark and an owl.










No comments:

Post a Comment