Monday 12 October 2015

Secularism - India's painted face

Its been quite a while I posted in blog...But recently I woke up to some news which forced me to write this...

An old man was killed because he ate beef. Following that incident a protest was made under the name of "Beef festival" where at least 300 people did eat beef biriyani...& now people in social media actively talking about Vegetarianism Vs non-vegetarianism.

When common people unknowingly relate the incident to vegetarian Vs non-vegetarian Facebook fights - there is hidden politics behind all these which we all need to realize. The old man belongs to a particular community - is a point to be highlighted.

I go to temple. I listen to carnatic music. I don't eat beef.  - These three stand alone with no dependencies on my religion. It pertains to my choice of prayer, music & food. 

I don't understand the idea of forcing one thought/practice on another. 

GMO cows are not a topic to be discussed? 
We all take the milk that the calf owns. Vegans may need to talk more to Vegetarians.
Can we all eat Kosher food because that's what Jews eat?
what about crackers used in Diwali that makes the animals suffer and pollutes the environment?
Hinduism by itself has complex-structured caste system. If everyone to be matched??!! (Let us resolve untouchability before we sneak peak into other religions)

Ideology of Liberalism involves religious tolerance without interference. Its just not beef...movies, speech, books are blamed for hurting the religious sentiments. That's so scary when secularism and liberalism are under question while we plan digital India.

We sing "இறைவனிடம் கையேந்துங்கள் " an Islamic devotional song with more passion than other songs. It's not because I like one religion over other....Because the tune of that song makes you feel closer to the eternal existence.

we are taught, the most powerful words in the world "யாதும் ஊரே யாவரும் கேளிர் " which translates as “All the world is my world, all humanity is my fraternity.

I strongly believe in "Aham brahmasmi" - the core of my being is the ultimate reality, the root and ground of the universe, the source of all that exists. 

 The worship of sun god and my doctor's advice to use sunlight as remedy for stress are registered the same in my mind. Unless rational thoughts are applied to what we practice, its difficult to come out of communal ignorance. 

There can be non-communal reasons to ban meat/slaughter. But political parties utilizing the majority population's religious beliefs and creating discrimination in the name of justifying ban. People need to realize that it is more than vegetarian protein Vs non-vegetarian protein or posting about models who stay built just with vegetarian food.

I am open to the discussion of vegetarian or non-vegetarian or vegan topics unless its not tied to the roots of religions. These topics easily add indirect discrimination on caste/religion and are dangerous precedents. we need to envisage country with peace and independence. Mother India's painted face needs a good wash. 


“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
― Albert Einstein











No comments:

Post a Comment