Tuesday 18 March 2014

Healthy Pregnancy

I wish to share my experience working out and eating clean during pregnancy.

As you all know, I attained my goal of healthy BMI(20.8 - weight 114lbs height 5' 2") in 2012. When I was moving towards my further goals of building muscles and aiming to practice for marathon, I became pregnant. .Nothing should stagnate myself. I will fight for what I need and of course, its a challenge in front of me to stay healthy and its an opportunity for my baby to start a healthy life from the womb.

Because I was working out before, doctor had given me a GO to continue through out the pregnancy. (**Its very important to get a GO from your doctor before working out during pregnancy. Lots of factors determine if a woman can workout or not during pregnancy.)

Work out:
Working out during pregnancy is never the same as daily workout. Its just not about coping up the challenges your pregnant body gives but its also about lots of moves that needs to be restricted/really need to be careful about. I couldn't be as vigorous as I was with my regular routine. Any move that puts pressure on abdomen needs to be restricted(no crunches, no sit-ups, no walking lunges, no jumping jacks, no dead lifts, no ab-moves, no jump rope, no jogging, no planks, no moves that would risk falling). I focused on pregnancy-friendly moves.

During first trimester, it was difficult for me to do even warm up. I took it easy and did not force myself much. But could catch up in second trimester and kept going till day before I delivered. - Yes, I did workout even the day before my labor day. In fact, I should say, the squats I did prepared myself for an easy peasy labor.

Clean eating:
I did clean eat 70% of the time during pregnancy. I never compromised on my temptations. I ate whatever I wished but in moderation. Yes its all about moderation when it comes to eating. Always remember - One healthy meal cannot make you fit...Same way...One bad meal wont make you unhealthy. What you do most of the time matters.

NOTE: I never diet. Its all clean eating. I just stated in "note" coz I get questions about the "diet" I follow. I always answer its not diet. Its clean eating that needs to be followed.

Postpartum Experience:
I gained a total of 32lbs. With 11 weeks postpartum, I am weighing 121lbs. 7 more lbs to lose. Breastfeeding plays an important role in postpartum recovery and weight loss. (But lots of strength need to be gained back...)..

Do you think, I lost all the baby pouch...no...but I am in a better shape...thats all I need...
I didn't start working out yet. I will not until my baby becomes at least 4 months.

My body is a magic - It does a wonderful job by listening to my mind. Let it take enough rest as it needs.
Life is all about progression....Perfection follows Progression.




2 comments:

  1. u r an inspiration to me pingu...i am hoping to start my postpartum workouts immediately :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nish Thank you..U r a smartie...U will do it...Be on ur pace...:-)

      Delete