Sunday 13 July 2014

Initiating a conversation...

I read an article from a mom about electronics usage and this is something related & happened yesterday. It might have happened every time but this time it grabbed my attention with respect to the article I read.

Here is what happened...

We went out for shopping. On our way back, I played songs in the car. I listened to one of them and found Tharun deadly silent. I asked him what song he likes..He told "Taxi Taxi " song. I played it for him. He kept singing the words Taxi Taxi whenever it came up in the song...The song got over.

He shouted "its letter B there" by looking an advertisement.I said yes. Then he said "Disney cars!" when he looked at the painting on a building wall. I asked does he like Disney cars - he told 'a lot!!'...

Kamal said we are crossing downtown - here is where we came the other day for watching circus at Staples center. Tharun said yes we saw lion, tiger, elephant, horse...Horse runs faster...I like tigers etc...

I told you are going to have Safari lesson soon at your class. You need to tell your teacher about the animals you saw at circus. 

The conversation went on & on about the ice cream we ate, missing Thanish(Thanish was at home with my mom), Transformer characters - Optimus Prime, Bumble Bee, Sentinel Prime, Megatron....We started discussing what is good & what is bad in those characters. What good robots do....

Started with letter B and ended in discussion of good/bad....Tharun kept talking the entire drive...

We read lot about restricting the usage of electronics from kids. But we say kids are interested in such electronic items..& hence we give to pacify/divert them. But they are interested in interactions/conversations not electronics. When we don't do it, they go behind the electronics where the cartoons and games talk to them and entertain them.

Believe me ,the kids are very smart to learn things...You give a phone/iPad/laptop/TV today - they will become expert in handling the very next day. So no urgency and nothing pride in telling he/she handles everything with ease. If your kid is using electronics for more time - its something to be attended immediately not to be felt proud.

There is no good parenting/bad parenting because our intention is not to spoil the kid. But sometimes it happens unknowingly...Kids are humans - they get used to the habits. Just keep that in remembrance!!

2 comments: